FeaturedGovernment/MilitaryUFO NewsUFO Sighting Reports

Witness names military installation from UFO encounter

The Indiana witness near Clinton who recently recalled a UFO incident from 1994 when a slow moving, triangle-shaped UFO moved low over a government installation while he was conducting security work, has named the Newport Chemical Depot as the site during an interview with Indiana MUFON Field Investigator Ned Delaney, in Case 66660 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.

The witness stated that he was on patrol at the Newport Chemical Depot near Clinton, Indiana. The witness was working a midnight shift with a partner on a routine patrol of the perimeter fence line installation about 2 a.m. in September 1994 when the object was observed.

“We had stopped to observe a northern section of the fence line,” the witness stated. “I noticed a dim light in the distance that seemed to be above the ground level and tree line. So we stayed in the vehicle and observed the light configuration as it grew nearer to our position.”

Witness illustration. (Credit: MUFON)
Witness illustration. (Credit: MUFON)

The two continued to watch the object on this dark night.

“It was a dark, moonless night, and you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. The one light that we first observed had gotten larger, and it was soon apparent that the craft had a glowing globe on each of its corners.”

Suddenly the air in the area seemed different.

“As the craft continued to approach, the air seemed to get muggy and hard to breath. It was like a dead air situation. The craft just kept getting larger and larger as it approached our position. It seemed like a long time had passed when it finally reached the fence line where we were.”

A Newport disposal site employee helped guide a stacker operator as he maneuvered an intermodal (ISO) container filled with hydrolysate. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)
A Newport disposal site employee helped guide a stacker operator as he maneuvered an intermodal (ISO) container filled with hydrolysate. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

The witness described the object.

“The size of that thing was huge. It was at least 300 to 350 feet in length and at least 125 to 150 feet wide on the tail end of its triangle shape. The top of the craft was not dome shaped, but it looked like it was a raised structure with portals along its sides, like the port holes in the side of a sailing ship. They were dimly lit and in a neat row close to the mid line of the craft. The bottom of the craft was like a giant convex mirror.”

The witness noticed that the object picked up reflections from the ground.

“Everything that it passed over was reflected in it like it was high noon on a bright sunny day. I could even see my own reflection along with my partner and the patrol truck in it. And there was no light reflected back from its surface to the surrounding area.”

Two workers in demilitarization protective ensemble (DPE) performed maintenance work in an area of the Newport Chemical Agent Disposal Facility (NECDF) where chemical agent may have been present. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)
Two workers in demilitarization protective ensemble (DPE) performed maintenance work in an area of the Newport Chemical Agent Disposal Facility (NECDF) where chemical agent may have been present. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

The craft was now very slow moving and very close to the ground.

“The craft was moving at a snail’s pace of about 5 to 7 mph. If I would have climbed into the bed of the patrol truck, I could have reached up and touched the craft with my hands. The craft drifted over the tree line to south of our position and we lost sight of it.”

The two witnesses decided to move to another location to continue to observe the object as it moved away.

“Since the craft was moving at such a slow rate, we got back into the truck and moved for a better vantage point to see it egress the area. But when we had moved only about 100 yards to the next clearing or vantage point, the craft had vanished.”

The witness reported the object.

“When I reported this incident to my boss, I was told not to repeat it to anyone. He told me that he had seen it too. And he hinted to me that if I knew what was good for my job, I didn’t see what I saw. And if I were asked by anyone about the situation, I was to tell them that all I had seen was a low flying air craft with engine trouble.”

The witness tried to officially report, but was again told not to talk.

“When I told him that I knew just what I saw, I also told him that I was a licensed pilot, certified by the FAA, and that was no aircraft that was from this Earth. He told me to just keep my mouth shut and get out of his office.”

Now 21 years later, the witness wants to get his story out about what was seen. In addition to naming the site, the witness provided MUFON with a sketch of what was seen that night – which is posted on this page above.

“The other witness to this sighting, to this day, still refuses to acknowledge any truth to this event for fear of public ridicule.”

The Newport Chemical Depot deactivation ceremony on June 17, 2010. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)
The Newport Chemical Depot deactivation ceremony on June 17, 2010. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

Indiana MUFON Field Investigator Ned Delaney closed this case as an Unknown UAV.

Clinton, IN (Vermillion County) is a community with just under 5,000 population. It is located approximately 21 miles north of Terre Haute Air National Guard, 150 miles southwest of Grissom AFB, and 125 miles west northwest of Camp Atterbury Military Base. Clinton is approximately 100 miles west of Indianapolis.

The Newport Chemical Depot, according to Wikipedia, previously known as the Wabash River Ordnance Works and the Newport Army Ammunition Plant, was a bulk chemical storage and destruction facility in west central Indiana, 30 miles north of Terre Haute operated by the United States Army. The site was used as an RDX, TNT and heavy water production site and also served as the entire production site for VX in the US. The total area of the depot is 7,098 acres. All VX nerve agent at the site was neutralized by August 8, 2008. It was the third of the Army’s nine chemical depots to completely destroy its stockpile.

The Army held a Deactivation Ceremony in June 2010 signifying that all activities required for closure of the NECD had been successfully completed. In preparation for closure, the Newport Chemical Depot Reuse Authority (NECDRA) was created to complete a reuse master plan for the NECD. NECDRA and its consultant team worked with the local community to create a plan and implementation strategy for the conversion of the depot to civilian use

Roger Marsh

Roger Marsh is a UFO writer and content developer. He is Director of Communications for the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) where he manages media contact, rights and permissions, and content development for television, film, documentary, radio, print and stage. Roger is a MUFON case researcher for History channel’s “Hangar 1: The UFO Files.” He is editor of the monthly international MUFON UFO Journal, executive producer of the weekly “MUFON UFO Traffic Report” radio show; serves as the MUFON webmaster; reporter for the daily “UFO Traffic Report” in web and audio formats; and publisher of the “MUFON Books” imprint. He is the author of Sacred Dialogue, editor of Silent Invasion, and co-editor of Ron Paul Speaks. Roger was featured in the 2015 season premiere episode of Destination America's "Monsters & Mysteries in America." Roger and his wife, Joyce, live in Scottdale, Pennsylvania, restoring a 1910 Pennsylvania four-square.

Related Articles


  1. This is a VERY strange case, IF true; but it DOESN’T seem like it’s true. WHY would the “witness” wait so long to talk? If it was a TOTALLY dark night and the ONLY lights were the “dimly lit globes” around the “craft”, then HOW could they see the details of all that “reflection” in the bottom of it? HOW could he see if the top of it was domed or flat?? IF it was so “huge” it COULDN’T have been moving that close to the ground that he could have touched it from the truck because it would have hit trees or the powerline poles shown in the picture of the base. Conclusion: HOAX!

  2. @Richard:

    Concerning the “trees” and “power lines” the craft supposedly would have hit: the report states quite clearly that the two witnesses were patrolling the perimeter fence line of the plant when they sighted the craft. The above picture of the plant seems to have been taken somewhere inside the plant. With this in mind, it’s actually quite plausible that the perimeter of this facility is bereft of tall standing objects like trees or power lines, or if not now, then perhaps it was bereft of such objects in 1994 when this craft was allegedly sighted. Also, keep in mind that the above picture of the plant was clearly not taken in 1994, so even if that picture illustrates the exact location the craft was sighted (which it almost certainly doesn’t), things could have changed since the time of the sighting.

    Also, concerning your point about the “reflections,” it is also quite clearly stated that the witness was unable to ascertain the source of the “light” that enabled him to see the reflections. From what I’m getting, it seems that the craft was acting as a “screen” of sorts, projecting images of nearby terrain onto its surface (some type of cloaking device, perhaps?). Still, the mere fact that the craft exhibited strange technical properties iis certainly not enough to discredit or disprove this man’s account.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button