FeaturedUFO NewsUFO Sighting Reports

Pennsylvania witness describes UFO as size of football stadium

A Pennsylvania witness at Erie County recalled a 22-year-old UFO encounter with an object “the size of a football stadium” that has affected his life to the present day, according to testimony in Case 72805 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.

The events played out beginning about 8 p.m. on June 5, 1993, the witnesses’ graduation night.

The witness described UFO activity that occurred in 1993 from Erie County, Pennsylvania. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)
The witness described UFO activity that occurred in 1993 from Erie County, Pennsylvania. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

“The night sky was quite impressive that night, a true sight to see,” the witness stated.“I remember scanning the night sky thinking how this would be my last night home. I had walked to the end of the driveway. I was a delayed entry soldier that the very next day was going to boot camp. It is when I turned to look back towards the house, that something stood out to me.”

The witness described the experience.

“The stars were gone in my view and disappearing. Then came the lights. I estimate the light panels to have been 12-foot-tall and 6-foot-wide. This was a circular-type craft, so these giant light panels were on the outside edge. They started in a clockwise motion very slowly. The colors they were giving off were mesmerizing and beautiful.”

The witness then began to focus on the bottom of the craft.

“Running lights had come on, but not as you would expect. The glow came from crevices and glowed on the bottom. What I am staring at is not metallic in nature – it is stone. Rocks the size of a cargo container or a semi-tractor trailer. The entire circumference of the craft I estimate to be the size of a football stadium. The rocks on the bottom were not smooth, but jutting at various angles, but seemingly as an upside down pyramid with no tip.”

The craft slowed to a stop above him.

“As I face my home, the craft floated in at treetop level from the west. There was no sound. A buzz or energy seemed to be in the air. My next memory – I am now facing in the direction north watching it slowly creep over a row of trees. It had done a change of trajectory over my head.”

The witness then recalls running inside his home and finding his father “more than a bit pissed.”

The object was described as the size of a football stadium. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)
The object was described as the size of a football stadium. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons)

“He was saying he had been all around the house yelling my name. Thirty minutes had passed. My father has not really ever talked to me since that night. I often wondered if he might have seen something.”

The witness then recalls odd experiences that followed in the military.

“In boot camp I was a squad leader and was given what I think were like a 4-5 man room separate from the main dorm that housed the rest of the men. It was then that I would catch myself sleep walking. Even the fire guard would catch me, saying I was making no sense. I do not know if it was shock from my encounter, or a side effect of it.”

The witness described his work in the military.

“I was given a top secret clearance and assigned to the Air Defense Artillery. My job was to field test a new radar system trying to feed real time data to the TOC’s. The use of this new system would also integrate the Avenger Systems to lock onto the deemed enemy targets the radar specified. Also was expandable by linking up to AWACS. The radar system was the ANMPQ-64 GBS ground-based sensor.”

The witness points out that this work was done during peace time.

“I did six NTC rotations, including time at White Sands. Working with the techs from Hughes Aircraft Company. I did my first three years 1/5th ADA Ft. Stewart, GA. Was given an honorable discharge, and re-enlisted to Ft. Hood, TX. As my honor and pride set in as a patriot that ran the same woods as George Washington as a child, my guilt over carrying the burden for years set in.”

The witness decided to open up about his UFO experience.

The witness said that his father had searched for him for 30 minutes during the encounter and he is not sure what his father might have seen. Pictured: Erie, Pennsylvania. (Credit: Google Maps)
The witness said that his father had searched for him for 30 minutes during the encounter and he is not sure what his father might have seen. Pictured: Erie, Pennsylvania. (Credit: Google Maps)

“I found myself driving the Battery Commander one day and I brought up my concerns that our radar system would not catch something like what I had witnessed. Remember this is 1998 and I have just told my superior officer that I have had a UFO experience. And we happen to be in a Military Air Defense Battalion, oh, and I have a top secret clearance, and was the first team to field the system.”

The witness was soon told to take some leave time.

“Which was no issue for me had alot saved up. So I took 45 days. Went up the coast of California with some friends into upper California and Oregon. Nothing was out of the ordinary when I signed out for leave.”

But the witness soon discovered that something was wrong with his assigned leave time.

“On day 33 I received a call from a friend still at the base telling me I was considered AWOL. The MPs had been by the house. My Battalion Commander and S-4 had pulled my leave form from the CQ desk, saying it was unapproved. So in one sweep my security clearance was pulled, and I was wanted.”

The witness turned himself in a couple of months later.

“They bought me a bus ticket to Ft. Sill to out process. I was given a less than honorable discharge for my second tour. Inability to Adapt. History will remember me as an undesirable, unrecognized by the same country whom I tried to warn, and help. I personally view this matter as one of national security. At the very least we are being monitored as our technology advances. My MOS was a 14J. My job was to not only run the radar system, but to visually identify every known craft in the world’s flying arsenal. This was not a man-made craft unless it is time travel in some form or matter.”

Erie County is located in northwestern Pennsylvania, population 280,566.

Pennsylvania MUFON State Section Director Fred Lane is investigating. Please remember that most UFO sightings can be explained as something natural or man-made. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.

Roger Marsh

Roger Marsh is a UFO writer and content developer. He is Director of Communications for the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) where he manages media contact, rights and permissions, and content development for television, film, documentary, radio, print and stage. Roger is a MUFON case researcher for History channel’s “Hangar 1: The UFO Files.” He is editor of the monthly international MUFON UFO Journal, executive producer of the weekly “MUFON UFO Traffic Report” radio show; serves as the MUFON webmaster; reporter for the daily “UFO Traffic Report” in web and audio formats; and publisher of the “MUFON Books” imprint. He is the author of Sacred Dialogue, editor of Silent Invasion, and co-editor of Ron Paul Speaks. Roger was featured in the 2015 season premiere episode of Destination America's "Monsters & Mysteries in America." Roger and his wife, Joyce, live in Scottdale, Pennsylvania, restoring a 1910 Pennsylvania four-square.

Related Articles


  1. Each day brings Planet Earth closer to accepting an increasingly undeniable fact. From other dimensions, parallel universes, or from distant worlds, we are being visited by ultra-intelligence. It is no longer beneficial or tenable for world political, military and science leaders to ignore the countless credible sightings of extraterrestrial craft in our skies and seas. Read UFOs-WHERE FROM HERE. It is a serious treatise proposing a worldwide collective examination and effective contact with this new and greatest of all human frontiers. UFOs-WHERE FROM HERE. An extraordinary challenge to all humankind.

  2. This is an absolutely incredible sighting and it would take an absolutely incredible imagination to fabricate such an event,

    The military’s conduct in villifying this young man is reprehensable !

  3. I’ve spoken to and read hundreds and hundreds of stories like this. What the witness leaves out, is his state of mind, or if he had a problem with authority. Maybe he had some reprimands on his record too. Did he do drugs?

    I’m not saying I disbelieve him, or that anything I wrote above applies to him, but I typically discover some sort of issue/s with these witnesses 99% of the time. This reads like the “me against the world” routine. He says after he went in the house, his father was mad because he couldn’t find the witness and they haven’t spoken since? That’s it? Does he mean they haven’t spoken of the UFO since? Your father is mad over you not being in the house and that results in a lifelong estrangement? Obviously he’s leaving out things he doesn’t want to have sway the story.

  4. I must admit my shock at coming across this article. When I reported this event to mufon those many years ago I never expected it to resurface this many years later. Things have been left out of this article, left out by the investigator since we spoke by phone after the initial filing. To answer your question NO this event did not leave to a life long estrangement. But he did refuse to answer any questions of what he saw this evening. He would clam up and change the subject. This was never a me verse the world, it was the universe opening up to me the reality that what we are taught growing up, and the reality we live in are quite different. My state of mind on this evening was quite clear. Was mere minutes from my graduation ceremony, and excited for the next day I was to leave for the military. It is easy for someone on the outside to be a skeptic, for the event is not permanently burned into your mind. This is not something that happened to me 2 decades ago, it is something I think of every single day of my life. A lot of the mentioned events in this encounter are 2nd hand from the investigator or changed a small bit as it was edited. There are events missing that were discussed. I will say this not only was an object the size of a football stadium moving silently and then hovering a mere 75 feet above my head, but the air was thick with only what I can describe as energy. A vibration felt in my own body. The giant rocks I can only compare to what I have seen in life, most closely resembled the rocks in Northern California or Oregon that jut out of the ocean. They had a reddish hue to them. The running lights that kicked on as the Craft got closer were hidden in the crevices of the rocks that were the size of a tractor trailer jutting at various angles. So I could clearly see the color of the rock. It was a nightly ritual to go out and look at the stars. So what drew my attention was when a part of the sky was blacked out that should have been full of stars. A dark patch that did not belong. It was a crystal clear night no clouds. It was when I noticed this dark void in the sky at tree line level, and was trying to decipher what I was seeing that the first lights came on. The outside perimeter lights that I described as giant light panels. What was mesmerizing about these lights was the colors that each panel would omit. Each panel would light in sequence in a clockwise pattern, each panel was a solid color. They would rotate 3-4 second intervals. Since the size of this craft was so large you must realize I could only see 1/4 to 1/2 a pie as it approached. The colors are not something I was used to seeing or ever since, magnificent in being unusual. It was only when it was almost directly overhead that the running lights had come on. It was this point in time that the vibrations in my body had begun, then hum in my ears. Then the missing time. The craft was sighted at 11:00 on a clock dial for direction. my next memory is of me standing 10′ away from my initial position facing 3:00 on a dial watching it silently moving away at the same slow creeping speed, the running lights were off, and the colored lights had resumed. This is when I ran into the house full of excitement trying vigorously to get my father to come outside. He never spoke of that night again, no matter how many times the subject was approached. I know it effected him as much as it did me in its own way. My mistake was trying to discuss this event with my senior commanders within the ADA. I was warned by a Tech from Hughes Aircraft company when I talked to him about this not to bring it up to my chain of command. He was convinced it would end badly for me. I was a soldier caught up in duty and honor. However these attributes were not welcomed when discussions of UFO’s came about especially in the ADA. With the rapid advance of technology and the slow disclosure of military encounters this will one day be validated. My career in the service that was cut short, the isolation one feels as a witness to such a major event, these burdens they will die with me. As advanced as this UFO phenomenon is in Technology. We should no longer be asking if we are alone in this universe. Or covering up and hiding information that could help us advance as a world into the greater cosmos. As we build a space force, and release documented military encounters, our direction has and always will be forward to the stars.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button