FeaturedGovernment/MilitaryUFO NewsUFO Sighting Reports

Yugoslavian Army jet fighter pilot recalls UFO encounters

Yugoslavian Army jet fighter pilot Suada Hamzića has been sharing his memoirs on a website dedicated to reporting on the Serbian Air Force. In his latest installment he writes about his belief in UFOs, and he shares the personal encounters that have convinced him.

Hamzića’s memoirs can be found on the website Tango Six. The latest entry begins with his observation of how unpopular the UFO topic can be, and how reluctant people can be to write about it. Hamzića says that the approach by authorities to be “generally restrained, incomplete, vague and mysterious,” only tends to “further complicate any rational debate on UFOs.”

However, he says authorities in the army, and in particular the air force, cannot ignore that “something” exists because many of their most advanced fighter jets have not been able to “cope” with the unidentified objects. He says these encounters happened repeatedly over the southern Adriatic Sea.


He also says there have been many accounts by highly credible people. Along with his own personal experiences, these are the reason Hamzića says he is convinced “they are no optical phenomena, fiction, hallucinations, and the like.”

Hamzića’s first sighting was in the spring of 1972 in the early afternoon. He was flying a Mig-21 on a routine reconnaissance flight in the region on Delcina. The jet was a two-seater and in the back was Captain First Class Stipić Dušan. On takeoff they were asked to check something out. When they flew to the coordinates they saw a bright luminous object.

Hamzića could not determine the altitude of the object, but he knows it was much higher than he was. Because it was a routine reconnaissance flight, they were not equipped with the proper equipment to fly at high altitude or at a speed greater than Mach 1.6.

Hamzića began to climb to get a closer look and the object got bigger and bigger as he got closer. He climbed at Mach 1.4, and reached 13,000 meters, but could still not be sure how much higher the UFO was. He says it could have been 17,ooo or even 24,000 meters. It was impossible to say for sure.

Just then the object zipped out to the west, decreasing in size and luminosity, and then it was gone. Hamzića says what impressed him was that the craft must have been moving between 4000 to 6000 km/h (the equivalent of around 2500 – 4000 mph).

Yugoslavian Air Force MiG-21/F-13 at the Belgade Aviation Museum. (Credit: Belgade Aviation Museum)
Yugoslavian Air Force MiG-21/F-13 at the Belgade Aviation Museum. (Credit: Belgade Aviation Museum)

Hamzića said he and Stipić talked about the sighting for a little while, but they didn’t discuss it with anyone else. Not even their colleagues. They made no official report, and they figured the event was just part of their job.

A couple of months later, on a beautiful summer day, Hamzića had his second sighting. He was enjoying the day, lying on a park bench and looking up in the sky. He was in a square filled with pilots, technicians and other members of the 352 reconnaissance squadron.

Hamzića then noticed a round silvery object above one of the runways. He thought it was early for weather balloons to be launched, but he still assumed that is what it was. Then he realized it was not floating upwards like it should be. Suddenly he realized it was a UFO, and in his excitement he said so out loud.

Everyone looked up, and some people made jokes about aliens. He says most people didn’t pay much attention, but a few continued to watch the object. It remained hovering in place. Then, similar to what he had witnessed a few months earlier, the object began moving to the west and zipped off out of sight.

The few watching the object looked at each other puzzled, but there was very little said. Hamzića says, soon after, exactly on time, a weather balloon was released and it rose into the sky as routinely as usual.

His third encounter was in late 1973 or early 1974; he could not remember the exact date. It was a night training flight. After the training he was asked if he had enough fuel to check something out. He said he did and when he got the coordinates he saw a glowing light. He thought at first it might be a commercial plane, but he noted he could not see inside, so perhaps the windows were closed.

After getting a closer look, he determined it was not a commercial plane. He says the light changed between light green, yellow, and “slightly” purple. He then lost sight of it in the clouds. He says, again, no one wanted to talk about what he had seen.

Suada Hamzića (Credit: TangoSix.rs)
Suada Hamzića (Credit: TangoSix.rs)

Hamzića says since he left the Army, he has had other sightings. He says he even recorded strange lights on two occasions, once in 2008 and once in 2011. He says in both cases they were lights that suddenly turned on and were very bright, then suddenly disappeared. Each time he watched the news reports to find out if other people had seen the lights, but the sightings were never mentioned. He says it was as if they never happened.

Hamzića’s memoirs are of particular interest because he has a unique background. After attending the Yugoslavian Air Force Academy, he also attended the Royal Air Force staff college in Great Britain. In 1980, he was sent to the United States where he worked evaluating the F-5 fighter jet. From 1986 to 1990 he served as a military attaché of the armed forces of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in Turkey. He then retired as a colonel in 1993.

F-5E Jet Fighter (Credit: National Museum of USAF)
F-5E Jet Fighter (Credit: National Museum of USAF)

Alejandro Rojas

Alejandro Rojas is a radio host for Open Minds Radio, editor and contributing writer for Open Minds magazine as well as OpenMinds.tv. For several years Alejandro was the official spokesperson for the Mutual UFO Network as the Director of Public Education. As a UFO/Paranormal researcher and journalist, Alejandro has spent many hours in the field investigating phenomena up close and personal. Alejandro has been interviewed by media organizations around the world, including the largest cable and network news agencies with several appearances on Coast to Coast AM.

Related Articles

One Comment

  1. The story is real, and pilot is a real person. Just his name is wrongly wrote as Suada Hamzica, but Suad Hamzic (due grammatical difference between southslavic and English language). There is one major UFO incident in ex-Yugoslavia in 1977. The civil aviation and military aviation was involved. Most of the sources say it took 3 Mig-21 fighters downed. One pilot killed, second injured and one survived. It happened when Pan Adria two engine turboprop airliner was flying on the regular basis from Zagreb to Belgrade and final destination Titograd. During approaching to Belgrade Int.airport crew and passangers have seen large flame colours ball flying along with the plane. Radar control confirmed the unknown object. The ball was stopped and stood calmly in the mid air between Belgrade International airport and nearby major Yugoslav military Batajnica air base, whyle Pan Adria airliner was landing. Captain of the plane gone to the tower radar control and found generad director of Yugoslav civil air control and high ranking militar officers was there minding what large lighting object is? Decission was make Pan Adria airliner is to continue its flight to Podgorica. But after airplane started to climb, it was followed by UFO, moreover flight control ask pilot to change his course and fly to the direction of unknown object. Soon it was clear UFO started to move on the direction of the collision course, so plane retourned to his original path. UFO has moved to the Batajnica militar airbase. It caused highest alert, next day from the base President Tito shedulled flight to Moscow, Peking and Seul, so the top militar command gave the order four Mig-21 from the base to intercept the unknown object. At the moment UFO started to move on the direction of Hungary (to the North West). Elegedly on the border, planes attacked the UFO and 3 airplanes were downed. There is videos of Pan Adria captain and flight engineer whitnesing this event, director of Yugoslav civil flight control, militar radar control officer, and another officer serving on Batajnica Air militar base at the time. Material is owned by HRT (Croatian Radio Television, HRT3 channel).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button